Tuesday 18 August 2015

There's something in the Water(shed)....

I agreed a while ago to help Elspeth with her Watershed Adventure this summer, 680 miles and 44 Munros along the imaginary dividing line where rainfall decides whether to head West into the Atlantic or East to the North Sea.

With having the summer off work, I had the ideal opportunity to combine a number of things; such as helping Elspeth out but also getting some valuable training in before the TDS. So I picked a 4 day period starting on the 10th day of the Adventure that coincided with the first Munro of the trip and arranged to meet Elspeth in Glasgow for the start.
When I arrived, I was informed that Elspeth's running partner had decided to run a different route that day (and in fact from then on, he set off on his own separate adventure allowing Elspeth to continue alone).

I made a couple of changes to my own schedule, which allowed me to accompany Elspeth for a total of 11 days' running in 3 stints (I had to nip home for some camping gear after the first stint, and then had a race to run after the second stint...)

I could write tomes about the incredible and humbling experience it was to run with Elspeth for those 11 days, but I won't.
I have far too many amazing memories from the run, that a few words would not do them justice:
Suffice to say that I'm in awe... the Watershed has, to date, raised over £7,000 for the charity Funding Neuro... and Elspeth finished the run on 15th August, reaching her goal at Duncansby Head with a smile on her face all the time (well, except for what I'll just refer to as "the Glencoe incident"...)

Elspeth's fundraising page is here, if anyone reading is feeling generous. Or before 30th September, you can vote for her charity to receive £10,000 in a Mountain Warehouse competition.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so I'll shut up and here's a link to some photos

No comments:

Post a Comment